Monday, November 6, 2017

GHS Halloween Party 2017

As mentioned last week, I was going to away for a few days with friends at our Littles Halloween and Bonfire party at GHS which as ever required a little preparation.
I set out from home at half past Seven  on the Friday morning as in what is supposed to be an hourly bus service from our estate  to the nearest town had a gap in it and this was only slot that would work  before catching a bus to our rail station that offers some of the best  rail connections across the UK to catch my London Midland Train.
Having contacted the person to let them know I was enroute, I then met up with at their local rail station before we caught the local bus to GHS and had a hot drink.
At GHS something very spooky had been going on the building was festooned with ghostly streamers, spiders and skulls and some ghosts were in residence!
 Two other people were coming early as I was although events proper were not to start until noon on the Saturday so apart from chatting I had my dollies to play with when the person who runs GHS had her  nails painted most well.
When they returned there were a number of things to do such  making Spooky Halloween sponge cake which I did with some assistance, making the two sponges although I had to remake one as mixture made from margarine, sugar, eggs and self raising flour  didn't quite work right for one of the pair before applying home made Plum Jam and cream following by green and black icing that was allowed purposely to run off the very edges. 
 As well we were having a beef roast to which as is increasingly the case rightly I'm expected to help out with so I cleaned and cut the home grown potatoes, prepared the cabbage and carrotts ready for the carrot and potato mash with the cabbage being boiled and the potatoes being roasted.
I also helped in making a jam flan with blue berries on top which was served with cream all of which was appreciated when two other guests arrived in time to consume it and I was thanked by Miss Green for my contribution making things easier for her.
After conversation I went to sleep cat style near the fire being a bit tired and slept like a log all night.
I woke up on the Saturday had some shredded wheat for breakfast and around Eleven o clock  got changed into my thicker grey zip up at  the front dress which is easy for me put on by myself before as from Twelve noon the remainder of our group arrived bit by bit  in time for home made Burgers with Onion (cheese slices available for  those that eat it) which that tasty I had two!
After this it was time for our Halloween treasure hunt that took place outside although overnight it had rained and indeed was somewhat overcast for much of the day where hunted for clues that lead to others with prizes.
We also did  Pumpkin carving out of doors with child-proof tools which is as well with me although we interrupted for a period by a shower that required us to huddle in the shed while it passed over.

 Cutting and especially scooping out a pumpkin can be a really sticky job so I the Sticky One was joined by another-me with those sticky paws.
Actually I was fairly quick at getting the actual carving done

 Here's part of the completed group with mine on the right hand side.
We had a kind of bring bits with you tea with quiche, sausage rolls, pork pie and  a variety of desserts such as the Pink Blancmange trifle of Andi's I had and yes my sponge which I was informed by my second best friend was very nice.
The final event of the day after the spooky music quiz was our bonfire which as on previous years we had some competition locally. 
 Here's a picture taken with a slowish exposure of one of fireworks 'going off' while the bonfire was blazing.
We we up rather late so typically I and a n other whose name I won't say to avoid embarrassment were falling asleep around everyone else but other than to say it was probably apt both of us did.
We got up lateish Sunday morning I know I was up around a quarter to Eight  which is late by my standards and having gotten changed had either cereals or a smoked bacon sandwich fried.
After changing clothes (for some of us), we set off for a morning walk though local woodland, passing a canal with ducks, a Kingfisher and narrow boat before we arrived at a Public House for lunch as Miss Green had booked a table.
I had a delicious Turkey roast with trimmings  while others opted for other things such as beef steaks before we waked back to GHS as in small groups we all said our goodbyes.
Suzy and I were kindly driven by Andi to the rail station to catch our way trains home that were running a bit for one of us and somewhat late for another due to an incident in the North.
I got a cab off the taxi rank  straight home which was rather quick and not too expensive as local estate service does not run on Sundays plus it's over a mile to walk over rough and in places step terrain.
I'd like to thank Miss Green for organizing this super event, the hospitality  and her contributions to catering, Andi for lighting the fireworks safely which is so super important, helping with the Burgers and kindly providing Suzy and I a lift.
I'd also like to everyone else who did bring something else to this event, fun and contributions to the food  that all help make  this a most enjoyable weekend get together.

2 comments:

  1. I guess I have to fess up for being one of the other girls to nod off close to midnight but not the only one. I think most of our troop had the turkey roast for Sunday lunch, only I opted for the cow chop because I was expecting a roast chicken dinner waiting for me at home. That said it wasn't started when I got home, so I peeled and prepped the veggies and put the bird in the oven only to fall asleep before it was cooked and wake up way past midnight.

    I wanted to say I was very impressed with your pumpkin carving and hope that it didn't hurt your hands after the event.
    Best wishes from Sally-Jane

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fab report Joanne

    Matron has noticed though that you missed out the music quiz but as you did not win we can excuse you for that! :)

    Thanks again for being there.

    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete