Monday, February 19, 2018

Littles Camp Report Winter 2018


After last weeks bit of a break, I am writing an account of how that six days and a bit spent at "Littles Camp" went although there  are some group rules about what information I can share so do bare with me.
Littles Camp is in some ways a bit like a spring or summers camp for actual children except it is for those 18+ who are in differing ways more 'like a child' and so the first thing to say is it isn't in any way connected to anything kink or sexual.
It's really a place where many of us can let out amongst others our child-like selves and while to make the thing happen we hire a place and look after our own catering needs, outside of that we're in a child-like place, what I call 'Little Space' so we do activities and act from "the child within".
The place we go to is in excess of one hundred fifty miles and that is after taking a lift with a  friend a few tens of miles away so in order to do that, I needed to catch two buses to our local rail station which is the biggest in the North-west Midlands and catch the train to South Staffordshire before meeting them then taking a bus to their place the day before.
One thing I do wish to comment upon is what you might wear because we all see and hear different things but the first thing to say is you don't have to dress any different because it's less about dress and more about that child within but different folk do things do things different some more infant others, more dressy and there some of us who wear things more like school or school age uniform depending how our little/middle side comes out.
In so far as it went with me, the first thing after taking my coat off at my friends was to get into my black pinafore dress before having a cup of tea and getting one of my dollies out before getting on to helping to make our evening meal which was Lamb Chop, Mashed Potato and boiled Broccoli.
I peeled and chopped the potatoes ready for boiling before butter was added for the mash and setting the table while they looked after the mashing and  cooking the lamb chops.
On the Saturday morning I helped with packing the car with not just our personal stuff but those things we had bought for for other people such as games and bread.
Seeing their were a number of local traffic issues, we decided to go via Halfpenny Green, the M5 and M40 motorways before criss-crossing  through Cambridge to East Anglia where our large venue was.
It took us about three hours thirty so we arrived around a quarter to three in the afternoon which happened to just in time for Sally and Karen who'd arrived a little earlier to offer to do what Britons call a "Bacon Butty" - literally cooked back bacon between bread which as we'd eaten before half past nine in the morning was very much appreciated that we had with some cakes.
Shortly after that I set up my room, fixed a drink and rested until about a quarter to six as I soon get tired so normally take an afternoon nap until my friend called me because it was getting toward time to fix some food.
Most people having arrived by now also were fixing food but that involved ordering Indian food and collecting it but we decided to fix our own so I had get utensils out and peel potatoes for some mash with our steak pies, the best in the Midlands which was soon enough done.

One group activity we did was doing jigsaws three of them  although I think we met our  match with one based on Chocolates that we really struggled with  and the London Underground (Brit speak for Subway) where we did get around 75% of it done but struggled with the masses of pure white bits that we couldn't slot in even though we knew they just had to.
On the Sunday a small Tatty Teddie was found outside my door and after a while it emerged so had everyone else as Kelly had left them which I though was a lovely idea.

Something I and I think a couple of others did was colouring so it was as well I bought my pencils and one book although there were  other things to colour in to which I did as I find both relaxing and also helpful with my hand-eye co-ordination.


On a few days a group of us including myself decided to walk varying distances around the neighbouring countryside, being alert to the local wildlife, vegetation and the solitude enjoying being in the fresh air, feeling care free.
On Monday, Victoria who was a member of the group but isn't able to come much, spent a few hours with us having fun which was a nice unexpected treat.
As well, that day saw Jennifer put on film show  with Paddington Turns Detective, an assemblage of Donald Duck cartoons plus the Laurel and Hardy classic Help Mates that we enjoyed and her home made sound movie of a 1999 steam trip from Birmingham to Liverpool Lime Street which featured a few stations I am most familiar with. Ice Cream cones were served during the interval.
A little surprisingly that home made film was a hit with everyone!
The all purrpuss nekomimi (look that Japanese word up!) put on a Music Quiz  that was won by Daisy and Suzy with second prize going to Fudge and Jillian. It was said there was something for everyone in it but I couldn't possibly comment.
Tuesday saw Alice doing a kind of Princess Hunt where you have to find them all to win a prize which was fun as rushed up and down the building looking everywhere for the princesses (and I mean everywhere including the Laundry!!!)
When it came to the catering side we had cold meat salads thanks to Daisy and Suzy for midday, Beef Stew with granary bread  followed by Rice pudding which was consumed in two helpings by the CatGirl thanks to Karla and Caroline, a  turkey roast thanks to Sally with others and Fish and Chips that collected by Jillian an order having been placed.
I should mention Andi's unforgettable 'Poncakes'  -at least that's how I  pronounce it, made totally by hand (not one ready mix was used) served with castor sugar, lemon and treacle which is something else that I had two off. All of which were truly scrumptious.
On the Wednesday we left after packing everything we'd taken with us and shared but because we needed to leave before mid morning several of us had done some packing before and generally tidied things up ready for the venues staff to come in and clean.
For me though this wasn't the end of this adventure after encountering  showers with temperatures around 2 degrees C  as we made our way toward Northamptonshire whereas it was really pretty sunny where we'd set off from we arrived back at my friends house.
After helping unload the car in two stages as it was a bit wet, the coal fire was lit and we had a cup of tea with cakes spending our time talking about the everything we'd all done and catching up on some tv such as Call The Midwife and The 2018 series of Great American Railroad Journeys travel documentary.
We had back bacon, mushroom, black pudding, sausage, fried eggs and bread for evening meal all bought locally from independent stores which was very yummy.
On Thursday I departed catching a train earlier than planned but itself delayed due to some incident at Birmingham that lead to one railway platform being taken out of use just as I had climbed part way up the stairs for it!
That wasn't the only odd thing as the internal information system with its electronic display and spoken announcements were so out of sync that it announced we were approaching Smethwick Galton Bridge where in reality we were going the opposite direction actually passing Mossfields, Stafford!!!
Thankfully getting the cab home at the other end was a lot more straightforward  and my driver was pretty talkative.
I'd like to thank everybody who was there contributing *something* to our littles camp not least those who "Bigged Up" to fix food and so on and also Jennifer for looking after me throughout the whole period.

4 comments:

  1. Glad you enjoyed yourself Joanne, Hugs Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cold Turkey ? Those birds had been in the oven for 3 hours !

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely report Joanne. Well done dear!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never heard of a true Littles Camp but this sounds terrifically lovely and just the way it should be orchestrated! It seemed to me that most of the groups out there end up getting mixed with some serious forms of BDSM and miss out on doing actual littlespace activities that help bring one into regression to some degree. I'm glad you got to have this experience and thought enough of it to share it with the rest of the community :)

    ReplyDelete